Top 10 Fintech Facts
According to the World Economic Forum, ‘fintech’ is the abbreviation for financial technology, a broad category that refers to the innovative use of technology in the design and delivery of financial services and products. The application of fintech cuts across multiple business segments, including lending, advice, investment management, execution and payments. Many fintech companies harness mobile technologies, big data and superior analytics to tailor products for various customer segments.
At Overbond, we believe that fintech is a flourishing market where startups have the opportunity to become unicorns.
What is a unicorn? Read our top 10 facts to find out!
2. According to McKinsey, VC investment in fintech has increased by over 200% in the last two years.
3. There are over 10,000 fintech startups globally, with new startups launching monthly, if not weekly .
4. North American fintechs receive 80% of global investments.
5. The most used fintech services are money transfer & payments at 17.6%, with savings &
investments following close behind at 16.7%.
6. China is currently the largest Peer-to-Peer (P2P) lender in the world, with $66.9 billion of loans underwritten.
7. A “fintech unicorn” or “unicorn” is a startup that is valued at over $1 billion.
8. At the end of 2015, there were over 50 unicorns and growing (e.g. Transferwise raises
$25M at a $1.1B valuation).
9. The highest valued unicorn is Ant Financial, Alibaba’s online payments and financial
affiliate, valued at somewhere between $45 billion to $50 billion.
10. The 3 largest fintech VCs in the world are: Sequoia Capital, Softbank Group and Google